Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Colonial revolt


It is not everyday that I remind myself of my American heritage. On most days it is quite the opposite. I hide under the veil of anonymity, until my accent belies the undeniable. When questioned I utter something about not being here on any expat package, and then proclaim to be a political asylum seeker. Which usually works. They either think I am barking mad or serious; neither being very appealing and I am left in peace.

That is, until the Fourth of July rolls around and Americans again become a subject (pun much intended), of ridicule or revere, often hard to tell with the English. Intent on making you feel at home, they issue many genuine happy Fourth of July wishes. It is all very kind and well meaning, but you can't help but wonder if they think it is as big as Christmas or Thanksgiving. The latter, by the way, the English have some confused notion is more important than Christmas in America. Probably because they quite understandably can't imagine Americans putting anything, even the birth of Christ, ahead of gluttony.

But what the English and others don't realise is that every time they refer to the US as the quaint sounding 'America' they are also indirectly saying happy independence. To Americans, the term 'America' conjures up images of pilgrims, the Mayflower, and colonial revolt. Americans rarely say 'America' anymore, outside of national songs. I imagine in an act of repatriation after the Civil War that the term 'America' was substituted for the United States which, unfortunately, conjures up less puritanical images.

And so here we are on 'America's' birthday, and I can feel a faint pang of nationalism. What am I saying, that is a lie, those pangs are just from nicotine withdrawal. Yes even after 10 months, don't believe Alan Carr.

For those with real pangs, a few ideas for this evening:

check out James Brown in concert tonight at the Tower Bridge Musical Festival, Tower of London, starts 8PM. Because the Godfather of Soul is 'so good, so good'. Prices £35-65, www.towermusicfestival.co.uk

or head to the Big Easy, the official nickname of the big party town New Orleans, at 332-334 King Road, Chelsea. Informal but authentic (read gigantic) American portions of seafood, steak, and barbeque. The Surf & Turf is excellent and comes with delicious garlic prawns. Add a couple of ice cold Coronas with lime and you can't go wrong. And at night there is country and blues music after 10 PM which gets the place going. But we like a bit of a swing.

So does Prince William apparently, they say he visits often.
Average cost £24/per person

12 Comments:

Blogger post-doc said...

Not that I mind terribly living in the center of the United States, but I am envious that you get to spend your time in London. I'm left to remember some of your tips until I can make my way back there for a visit.

Oh, and it's unfortunate that you can't lose the accent! I'm clinging to my Midwestern roots and trying to avoid a Southern twang - I'm not sure how well it's going. :)

12:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site, really enjoying your writing. Keep it up. You should be a journalist or writer. I am hooked.
Cheers

7:29 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an insight. Can see you know both cultures damn well. Keep it up City Slicker. Top drawer.
Pat

7:32 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

where did you get that picture
so funny
tom

6:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MESSAGE

3:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MESSAGE

9:31 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blog about real estate agent el paso

Hi

Enjoyed the blog - nice to see someone else has activated their anonymous feature ;-)

I'm interested in investing in the real estate market in the US and am looking for some really cheap repossession properties in Beverley Hills, Santa Barbara, Denver, Colorado, San Francisco, Fort Lauderdale, Iowa, Hawaii, British Columbia, New Jersey, New Hampshire, New England, Minnesota, Miami, Florida, California, New York, Washington, Dallas, Texas, Chicago and Los Angeles. I've found a couple of really good sites - Bargain network which has some really cheap homes and Texas Ranches for sale - ranches in Texas plus both sites have beachfront villas and cars that have been repossessed and are really cheap!! Just wondering if there are any more sites like this.

Thanks for this.

John

10:40 pm  
Anonymous Green Parks said...

Hello.. Firstly I would like to send greetings to all readers. After this, I recognize the content so interesting about this article. For me personally I liked all the information. I would like to know of cases like this more often. In my personal experience I might mention a book called Green Parks Costa Rica in this book that I mentioned have very interesting topics, and also you have much to do with the main theme of this article.

7:44 pm  
Blogger Amine said...

steroidsk2 spice ove quotes genuinely depict your feelings and emotions in an elegant way because it touches the heart of one's partner or lover.

6:52 am  
Blogger hungech said...

A revolution (from the Latin revolutio, "a turn around") is a fundamental change in power or organizational structures that takes place in a relatively short period of time. Aristotle described two types of political revolution:

Complete change from one constitution to another
Modification of an existing constitution.

Revolutions have occurred through human history and vary widely in terms of methods, duration, and motivating ideology. Their results include major changes in culture, economy, and socio-political institutions.
best superfoods
japanese dating

6:24 pm  
Blogger JuliaFromTGR said...

Close your eyes, give me your hand, darling
Do you feel my heart beating
Do you understand
Do you feel the samecaravan awningsMLS Toronto

11:29 am  
Blogger Sophie Grace said...

This article is very nice as well as very informative. I have known very important things over here. I want to thank you for this informative read things to do

7:14 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home